Hug that chocolate Lab this Easter.....but don't let the Lab get the chocolate!

Easter, for many, is a time of rest and relaxation, and getting to spend some quality time with family and friends. Most families have pets and to include them in your Easter celebrations is great but you must remember that they cannot enjoy all of the goodies that go along with this tradition.

Most people think it OK to give a tiny piece of chocolate here and there, to their pets but it is absolutely not.

Yes, chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. It is not normally fatal but it can result in significant illness. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine as well as caffeine.

Theobromine affects the central nervous system, cardiovascular system and respiratory system, it also has a diuretic effect. The first, most obvious signs of poisoning in dogs include vomiting and haematemesis (the vomiting of blood) and polydipsia (excessive thirst)

The lethal dose of theobromine is reported to be 100-500 mg/kg of body weight in dogs.

There are plenty of other goodies that you can feed your furry family pet besides chocolate and we encourage you to remember that this Easter break.