Pet Obesity Awareness - News from Samantha
October is Pet Obesity Awareness month so here are a few tips to help keep your family pets in good health and great shape. Information supplied by:
- Samantha Bantam | Veterinary Nutritional Advisor | The Vet Store Vangate
* Avoid giving your pet house food (table scraps). The way our pet's bodies process our food is different and even a small amount of table scraps daily can have a negative impact on your pets overall weight management.
* Labradors and Golden Retrievers are most susceptible to weight gain, especially females. Ensuring that you choose the correct food and follow a strict feeding plan for your pet will promote healthy eating habits and maintain a healthy body score.
* Most vets recommend at least 30 minutes of physical activity for dogs and 3, five minute intense play periods for cats, per day to maintain their weight.
* Common health issues that are often suffered by obese pets include type 2 diabetes, heart and kidney disease and high blood pressure.
* Consult your vet for a free weight check this October to ensure that you are aware of your pets physical condition because obesity can reduce your pets lifespan.